Evidence Based, Low Carbon, Pro-Poor Advocacy on Sustainable Eco-Village Development (EVD).
දකුණු ආසියාවේ අවම කාබන් හා තිරසාර " පරිසර හිතකාමී ගම්මාන සංවර්ධන " ( EVD ) සඳහා සාක්ෂි මත පදනම් කරගත් උපදේශන ව්යාපෘතිය
Project Progress Summaries for 2015 and 2016
Status at 20/01/2017 -2016 Summary
Progress of EVD in Sri Lanka is showing good signs. Especially with Sri Lanka NEXT and 10000 Climate smart villages programme put forward in Sri Lanka, potential for EVD has been further accentuated. IDEA already has been requested by additional district secretary of Matale to combine the EVD villages to the Climate smart village programme in the Matale district- region where 3 EVD villages are. This request was made after considering progress of EVD activities and demonstrations which have been carried out locally. The test and demonstrations have been delayed and stretched, but that has helped to better advocate on EVD since ongoing, realtime implementation and interventions has built more value and trust as evidence- according to the feedback. Moreover, IDEA has had very constructive conversations with the high officials linked to the Climate change Secretariat of Sri Lanka- Director and Chairman of National experts committee on Adaptation- on the way forward for EVD. Through these conversations, it was evident that EVD as a concept was well accepted but to lift it up to national level and be included under NDCs /national policies as a climate solution, the need for a comprehensive mechanism to measure progress and emission reductions is inevitable to go along with guidelines for development. The build-up evidence has helped to better advocate through different media channels- except tv/radio. The plans are to reach relevant national stakeholders with dialogue follow-ups and national event in the months of March and May with a focus on smooth transition to EVD phase 2.
The project is 2.5 years in the period of 2015-2017. It started with a kick off meeting in the beginning of April 2015 in India.
The overall objective of the project is to strengthen the development to reduce poverty in ways that limit greenhouse gas emissions (mitigate climate change) in South Asia.
The intervention objective of the project is to influence national decision-makers, including climate negotiators, to be aware of and better include local climate mitigation and adaptation solutions including sustainable EVD as important elements in their climate-related policies and in their proposals for international negotiations, including for climate negotiations. The sustainable EVD include integrated use of local solutions that together can form a low-carbon development path and show a vision for a prosperous development for villages, based on proven, local successes. Most focus will be on villages in rural areas, where the majority of the population lives in South Asia.
The Project will develop a concept for sustainable village development in South Asia, and seeks to communicate it to national and international level to combat climate change. This will be facilitated by a publication on national languages, position papers, national dialogue meetings, publication of INFORSE's newsletter "Sustainable Energy News", and participation of the UN Climate Conferences.
During the project sustainable village development plans will be made in 3 selected villages from each countries. These will be prepared based on an assessment of the situation (resources, potentials) and needs, as well as through dialogues in the villages. Other results will installation of smaller demonstrations in the villages.
Please see the flow of the planed activities in the illustration underneath:
More about the activities:
- Kick Off Meeting and Seminar, April 2015.
- Side Event at the UN Climate Conference in Bonn on June 10, 2015 ( http://www.inforse.org/asia/Conf15_Bonn_side_event_INFORSE_Asia_10_June_2015.htm )
- Policy Brief, Launched at UN Climate Conference Bonn, June 10, 2015 ( http://www.inforse.org/asia/pdf/EVD_Policy_Brief_Bonn_UNFCCC_June10_2015_F.pdf)
EVD Links and material
Partner organizations and Networks- Websites and FB links
IDEA FB page: https://www.facebook.com/idea.kandy
CRT Nepal :http://www.crtnepal.org/
Grameen Shakti: http://www.gshakti.org/
INFORSE South Asia FB page: https://www.facebook.com/INFORSE.SouthAsia/
- Indoor Air Pollution and Kitchen Improvement case study http://ideasrilanka.org/PDFDownloads/IDEA_IAP%20and%20Kitchen%20Improvement%20Case%20study.pdf
- Brick Production case study http://ideasrilanka.org/PDFDownloads/IDEA_Brick%20Manufacturing%20Case%20study.pdf
- Improved Household industrial Biomass stoves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrJHEyvhHc8
- Introduction to the environment friendly stove Anagi and Integrated Development Association’s current involvement in its promotion, awareness and advocacy as a part of fighting poverty sustainably https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6AtVMsxI6haV1Uzcy1nNWZkbkk/view?usp=sharing
Other case study links
Briefing notes and Publications
1 foaY.=Ksl úm¾hdi wjulsÍui|ydwvqldnkaúfudapkhfmroeßlr.;a wvqwdodhï ,dNSkaioydjQmßirys;ldó .%du ixj¾Ok jevigyk-
2. 5th Asia Pacific Adaptation Forum – Briefing Notes
3. Eco Village Development as Climate solution proposals in South Asia:http://www.inforse.org/asia/pdf/Pub_EVD-SouthAsia.pdf
4. EVD policy brief: http://www.inforse.org/asia/pdf/Conf16_EVD_Policy_Brief_20_05_2016_INFORSE_CANSA.pdf
5. Advocacy Workshop Document 2015 July- Agree on Platform- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6AtVMsxI6haeEdmX25za1BLN3M/view?usp=sharing
COP21 EVD Side event, November 2015 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6AtVMsxI6haMVRIQTZ3UFNuclE/view?usp=sharing
UNFCCC, SB44, May in Bonn- EVD Side event 2016 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6AtVMsxI6haalVvTlpBUEhRQUE/view?usp=sharing
COP22 EVD Side event 8th November 2016:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6AtVMsxI6haLWctSHhSa3NBeVk/view?usp=sharing
COP22 EVD Side event 11th November 2016: http://inforse.org/europe/pdfs/Conf_16_COP22_sideevent_11_11_EVD_presentations_South_Asia.pdf
5th APAN forum Side event presentationhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6AtVMsxI6haNVA0eVQ4M3R5VWM/view?usp=sharing
Newsletters and other material
Sustainable Energy News: November 2016 :http://www.inforse.org/doc/SEN79.pdf
Sustainable Energy News: May 2016: http://www.inforse.org/doc/SEN78.pdf
Sustainable Energy News: December 2015: http://www.inforse.org/doc/SEN77.pdf
IDEA Activities, News and Events on the Project -
Kitchen Improvement Programme, Entrepreneur Training, National dialogue meeting
Rain water Harvesting Demonstrations – August , Dalupothagama, Hapugasyaya and Galahitiyagama
Bee keeping Demonstrations in Galahitiyagama: 05/08/2017